Rabbits are preferred by adults and children not only because they are adorable, cuddly and cute, but easy to care for. Rabbits are great companions and suitable pets for children and adults and a way to relieve stress attributed to your hectic and busy schedules at work and school.
Pet owners prefer to have them as pets because they are sociable, tame and can be handled gently. You do not need to bathe and to groom them frequently because they are self-groomers. Given special care and attention, you can establish special bonds with them. Because they are sociable creatures, they love to play around, to roam around and to sit next to you.
You have to remember that having rabbits as pets require huge responsibility from you as pet owner because you need to furnish them with nutritious food and vitamins and to provide them safe and secured place to stay. With the presence of environmental hazards, like rain, snow and predators, it is your duty to protect them from danger.
Despite the limited funds you have, you can still provide them with safe place to stay by reusing your old rabbit cages. It does not mean that you should purchase new equipment and supplies for your pets because you can still give them quality place to stay by refurbishing your old rabbit cages.
There are several ways of re-using your old rabbit cages, all you need to do is to devote time to clean and to disinfect them.
Factors to consider when cleaning and refurbishing rabbit cage:
- Before you place supplies and accessories on rabbit’s cage, make sure to clean them first. Brush the flooring to remove any fecal marks. Use bleach or vinegar solution to remove pungent smell. Be sure to dry them under the heat of the sun after cleaning their cage.
- If you have a cage made of wood, you can put new paint or varnish. Before you start re-painting them, double-check for any defects on their lock enclosures.
- Make sure to make you cage, warm and cozy, where they can relax, sleep and rejuvenate. Make sure to place a small enclosure where they can hide and sleep. Place dried hay, shredded newspaper or straw. Avoid using aromatic oils in the cage because it can be detrimental to their lungs.
- You can also add unused and clean towels, fabric scraps and carpet to keep them warm during cold weather.
- Place the cage either inside your house, backyard or garden. Put it in a peaceful place because they love quite and serene environment.
- Keep them away from the reach of your house pets, like dogs and cats.
- Be sure to clean and to remove used and dirty bedding and shredded newspapers once or twice weekly to avoid breeding of bacteria and virus.
- Always clean the water and food container inside the cage to avoid contamination and to keep your rabbits from illness.
With the tips mentioned above, you refurbish your old rabbit cage to look like new.