The sun is shining, the grass is green, and, for many of us, allergy period is in comprehensive swing. Pet allergy season typically mirrors individuals in people. You may well be thinking, however, what is your pet basically allergic to? Go through on for the Animal Skin and Allergy Clinic’s top five record of the most widespread summer season pet allergens.
Our Prime Culprits
Animals can be allergic to almost anything. Unlike individuals, who tend to have respiratory signs or symptoms (stuffy nose, any person?), our animal pals tend to show their allergic reactions as skin ailments like itching, redness, ear bacterial infections, and hair reduction.
Quite a few periods it can be complicated to deduce what your pet is essentially allergic to. In the case of animals with atopic dermatitis there may possibly be a number of triggers. There do are inclined to be some frequent gamers, however.
The most common summer months pet allergens that our veterinarians see include things like:
- Flea bites: Some pets are really allergic to flea saliva, ensuing in intensive itching and flea allergy dermatitis
- Insect encounters: Bee stings, spider bites, and the like can outcome in neighborhood swelling and hives.
- Pollens from grasses, trees, and weeds: These airborne allergens can lead to in general itchy skin and might consequence in an irritated underbelly and/or paws where by they make direct contact with the skin.
- Environmental molds: These can be located in the wet grass and around bodies of water.
- Dust and dander: These indoor allergens normally subside in the summertime as we open our home windows, but some pets go on to experience concerns year-spherical.
What You Can Do About Summer Pet Allergens
When it comes to quite a few summer months pet allergens, you can not automatically avoid them. That does not signify, though, that matters are hopeless.
For one, we are much better than at any time at controlling fleas. We have safer, additional effective flea control alternatives each 12 months and can just about take flea allergy dermatitis out of the equation. Managing fleas is a excellent way to start off treating any pet who suffers from allergies.
For some pets, symptomatic management of seasonal signs or symptoms can be managed with topical therapies and/or systemic medications this kind of as Apoquel or Cytopoint. Recurrent bathing or rinsing of the pores and skin can help to clear away irritants and pollens.
For people with much more intensive signs or symptoms or a extended lasting allergy time, intradermal skin testing for allergen identification and desensitization could also prove useful.
If your pet has allergic symptoms, it is very best to not hold out to request aid. The before that we can intervene, the much more most likely conservative options will operate. Contact us appropriate away if you recognize your pet itching or licking their paws, or if you discover skin modifications these types of as redness, odor, or hair reduction.
Summer pet allergens can be discomfort (both pretty much and figuratively), but we are listed here to assistance.